How is the weather where you are? We finally had our first big snow in Boston (big for us, anyway) this past weekend! It was beautiful and I was grateful to have been home with my sweet husband and our furbaby to see it. We opened our blinds to watch the snow fall from our bed Saturday morning. It was peaceful and exactly what I needed after a crazy week of being rerouted and having medical emergencies onboard.
I spent last Monday stuck in the Detroit airport after my crew and I got rerouted from sunny and warm Fort Lauderdale. That’s the nature of the job sometimes. I ended the week with a medical emergency on my last flight home, but thankfully both of my crews where phenomenal. I couldn’t have made it through everything without them. In between the crazy flying were some great memories, like the Christkindlmarket in Chicago, and a wonderful Christmas party with our closest friends here in Boston.
One of the most important lessons I’ve learned from these past eight months of flying is to cherish the slow moments in life. So as my husband and I snuggled up to watch the snow fall peacefully outside, I sent up a silent prayer of gratitude for this moment. I can’t believe 2016 is almost over and soon we will be starting a brand new chapter in all our lives. As always, my focus for the new year is health related. I want to continue fueling my body with nutritious food, but also savor these slow moments in between the hustle and bustle of my day job (and sometimes all night LOL). Instead of making a list of goals for 2017, I am asking myself “what do I want to get out of 2017?”
So, what do you want to get out of 2017? Healthier, happier, wealthier, and/or more adventure? For more on feeling instead of list-making, I recommend The Desire Map by Danielle LaPorte.
But back to my favorite oatmeal when it feels like subzero temperatures outside, or I’m craving a warming, nutritious breakfast. I adapted this recipe from The Bojon Gourmet. Can you believe this gorgeous photos of their version on Turmeric Overnight Oats?! I found it on Pinterest and couldn’t wait to make it, so this is my got-to-have-it-now version with a few added superfood ingredients. I hope you enjoy it!
Magical Turmeric Oatmeal
Serving Size: One superfine human that needs some magic in their life
Ingredients for Golden Milk
- One can lite coconut milk (organic is best)
- 1- 1 1/2 teaspoons Turmeric (I use closer to two teaspoons bc I love turmeric)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Wild Honey (local wild honey is best for allergies) or maple syrup if vegan
Directions for Golden Milk
- Heat the coconut milk in a small saucepan and add all above ingredients. Whisk thoroughly as the milk heats up. Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer. At this point, you can actually drink this as a nutritious morning beverage referred to as Golden Milk because of the coloring. It’s great with a little espresso as a latte, as well! Now back to the oatmeal…
Ingredients for the Magic Oatmeal
- 1 1/3 cups of Gluten Free Oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
- 2 tablespoons Hemp Hearts
- 1 teaspoon Maca
- 1 teaspoon Ashwaganda (I use this one from Moon Juice, but two capsules of any brand would be good too)
- optional: 1/4 cup Walnuts, almonds, unsweetened coconut flakes
Directions for Magic Oatmeal
- Add all oatmeal ingredients (except the walnuts) to the simmering Golden Milk. Stir to combine and cover, letting everything absorb and combine to cook the oats well. I set a timer for 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. After the oats become the consistency you like, you can turn the heat off. Stir in the walnuts or any other toppings you would like. Because I limit my amount of sugar, I do not add fruit to mine. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy this three hour flight errr I mean delicious bowl of magical oatmeal!
Please share in the comments below what your plans for the new year are. I love reading your comments! Happy Holidays and safe travels this season!