I haven’t posted a recipe in a while, so I thought I’d share one that’s packed with protein, healthy fats, complex carbs, delicious vegetables, and of course the holy grail: KALE! It’s vegan, gluten-free, whole foods plant-based, and more importantly it’s DELICIOUS and FILLING!
This salad packs great. I’ve been taking it on my trips for the past week and I’m still not tired of eating it. This recipe serves 4-6. It lasts up to three days in the refrigerator. It’s perfect for lunch and dinner, too.
roasted veggie salad bowls
- Lacinato Kale
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 2 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1 bunch carrots (rainbow carrots look great in this recipe)
- 1/2 bunch parsley
- 1 lemon
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (sprouted are best)
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Thyme
- Dried Basil
- Dried Oregano
- Preheat oven to 425°F (start to cook your rice or quinoa too)
- Prep your veggies: rinse your chickpeas, chop your carrots (save the tops!) into 1/4 in rounds, dice potatoes
- Place veggies on a baking sheet (I line mine with parchment paper but its optional), making sure nothing is overlapping so it roasts evenly. Sprinkle garlic powder, thyme, basil, and oregano evenly to cover. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Taking a tablespoon of olive oil, drizzle all over the veggies. You might need a little more to cover, but don’t over do it. Using your hands, mix everything together on then spread out again on the baking sheet.
- By now your oven should be ready! Place that sheet in the oven and set your timer for 40 minutes. Now onto the salad dressing…
- In a food processor or small blender, throw in the tops of the carrots, parsley, 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Blend it up! If it seems thick, pour into up to 1/4 cup water.
- Rinse Kale and either tear the leaves into bite size pieces or chop it up. Place in a large bowl and pour the salad dressing over to cover and using your hands, begin to “massage the kale” until it turns a dark green color. This means the kale is broken down and softened.
- Add in the rice, pumpkin seeds, and roasted veggies. Mix it all up and serve in bowls. Top it with 1/4- 1/2 avocado and enjoy!
Let me know what you think in the comments section. Happy Eating!